Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sweet tomato and date chutney- Bengali style


You can also add kishmish/ raisins instead of dates.
The chutney can be stored in the fridge for 7-8 days. So I make it once and store it in the fridge,
Sweet tomato chutney brings back a lot of childhood memories. Growing up, I remember, my dad couldn’t finish his lunch without a sweet chutney (he still can’t), so my mom had to have chutney as a part of every lunch menu. So, she used to make this chutney once a week and store it in the fridge, and she used to take it out everyday and serve us.
So that’s what I do, whenever I prepare the chutney, I do it for 6-7 servings and it lasts me and my husband for a week.
 I sometimes add raisins instead of dates. I know people add apples as well, but I have never tried it.
Difficulty: Easy
Preparation and cooking time: 15- 20 minutes
Ingredients:
Tomatoes- 4 medium
Dates chopped- ¼ cup
Mustard seed- ½  tspn
Oil- 1 tbspn
Grated ginger- ½ tspn
Sugar- 4-5 tbspn depending on your taste (I use brown sugar, tastes like jaggery)
Whole Red chilly- 1

Method:
Heat oil in a pan, temper it with mustard seed and red chilly. Add the tomatoes in it, add a pinch of salt (Salt helps the tomato to cook easily). Cook till the tomatoes are pulpy, add dates to it. Cook till all the water disappears. Then add the sugar and ginger. Cook for another minute till everything is blended together, and you get a thick paste. Cool and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment